Monday, May 2, 2011

Cooking With Children: The Payoff

I know its a hassle bringing your kids into the kitchen to "help" make meals but oh, the payoff is worth the effort.Yes, kids make messes, sometimes big ones, and yes, they leave important ingredients out or put the wrong ingredients in, like the time my daughter put 3 tablespoons of baking soda in cookies instead of 3 teaspoons of baking powder. Lets face it...they mess up big time. But I know for a fact if kids are part of the cooking process they are more willing to try new foods and they are more willing to venture into cooking in general. Too many people these days have grown up not knowing how to cook. The answer: bring them in to help in the kitchen  when they are little and keep them in there as they grow. At one time we required our kids to plan and cook a family evening meal once per week. Sometimes we didn't eat until 9:00 PM but hey, they eat supper at 10:00 o'clock at night in Spain!
Now let me tell you about the scrumptious meal we had tonight. After I realized neither my husband or I would be home in time to cook supper I asked my 16 year old daughter to make some soup or something out of the rest of the broccoli in the frig. She looked up a recipe for broccoli cheese soup(on the internet of course) and VOILA! When I walked in the door at 6:30 PM the heavenly aroma of soup and baked french bread sent me into a salivary frenzy. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment