Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Good Food Should Taste Good

     I don't adhere to Jack LaLanne's motto, "If it tastes good, spit it out." And I don't care if  "Many parts are edible." If it doesn't taste good, I don't want to eat it.!

        Back in the early 80's my older sister bought a "hippie" cookbook entitled The Enchanted Broccoli Forest  by Mollie Katzen. I remember as a college student looking through it at all the weird ingredients like mushrooms, whole garlic cloves and lentils.  That book hadn't crossed my radar for 29 years when my health conscious 16 year-old daughter brought it home from the library and started drooling over the recipes. This piqued my curiosity since I remembered the book to be filled with odd "hippie" recipes.
        Last week I started thumbing through The Enchanted Broccoli Forest  and you could have knocked me over with a feather.  If these are "hippie" recipes than I must be a hippie, because many of the recipes look fabulous and some of them are for Indian cooking which I love. The recipes use lots of whole foods, whole grains, legumes, vegetables of all kinds and more. All those "weird" cooking ingredients in Mollie's Katzen's  cookbook have become my new "normal" in the last 10-15 years. I've become a hippie and didn't even know it; ether that or I finally caught on to what good food is.

      I went to Mollie's web-site and found she's written a cookbook for new cooks that looks great. It's called Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in The Kitchen.  Her site is definitely worth checking out especially if you are interested in cooking up some tasty looking whole foods. http://www.molliekatzen.com/

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are blogging. It's great to get in the mind of a wise woman! I've read about three but now I see I have a lot of catching up to do. Keep it up! - Jennifer Boles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, I have Katzen book somewhere - that one sounds great!

    Veggies were the hippies back then. Oh my, that dates me.

    As Jabmo3 said, I'm glad you're blogging you Titus 2 wooooman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the encouragement, Jennifer and Jan! This blogathon thing really keeps me on task and I've always got to be thinking about what's next.

    ReplyDelete