Monday, May 16, 2011

Sanity on Two Needles


hob·by

1 /ˈhɒbi/ 
–noun, plural -bies.
1.
an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

In my case the above sentence should read "Her hobbies include knitting and swimming."
In fact I would go further and say that my hobbies keep me from going insane, so they are much more than a mere relaxation technique and much better for my health than Valium or alcohol.

For me knitting has provided a constructive distraction, an escape, and an outlet for my creativity.  I find it an oversimplification to call knitting a hobby since it is so much more to me.  I do a lot of thinking while knitting and a fair amount of praying too. Knitting has also provided me a way to keep my hands busy so that I am not chewing on my fingernails, a habit I've fought most of my life. 

Every mom who loves her children and her husband needs a good hobby in order to "get away," relax and be creative. Moms need times of refreshment on a regular basis so that they can handle the trials of childrearing and family life with more grace and less pent up tension. Everyone needs a break. Even God rested on the 7th day of creation.

 





1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to find ways to relax more. My hobby is (hopefully) my career path. When I write it's for recreation but also for my career goals. I enjoy knitting but haven't done it in forever. I too chew on my nails. I'm trying not to but it's pretty tricky. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete