Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Grandma

I so loved my grandmothers. They both died when I was a teenager and it was very, very painful. They both lived within walking distance of our house on G street and I saw them quite often. My Grandma Thompson, my mother's mom, was quite strict but oh, so loving. She had a special room set aside in her house where she kept "new" toys she'd picked up at garage sales and such. But I never knew they were used. Sometimes when I 'd go over to see her she would look at me with a twinkle in her eye and say "The toy fairy has been here." I'd run, or rather walk hurriedly since running was not allowed inside the house, to the toy room and find a new treasure sitting on the daybed. I was allowed to take it into the living room and play with it, and never roughly. Only one toy at a time was I allowed to take into the living room to play with and I always had to put it away neat and tidy, just where I'd found it, before getting anything else out.

I'm going to be a grandma for the first time in September and I am really getting excited about the idea, but trying to figure out what kind of a grandma I'll be. I really want to be a good one...Lord help me.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Are you going to be a fun/messy grandma? It's your job to spoil that baby. lol

    j

    ReplyDelete